Sunday 15 April 2012

0 Hit The Dirt. Your Fitness Will Thank You


Best way to get an extra fitness boost from your weekend long run?  You don't have to go longer or faster.  You just need to hit one of the off-road trails that abound in Melbourne.  I took this photo this morning as I ran through the bush, next to the Yarra River less than 7kms from the centre of Melbourne.

There are so many benefits to running off road.  Let's start with fitness.  I could definitely feel myself working harder than I normally would on a smooth concrete path.  The trail undulated, twisted and was covered in rocks and roots that needed to be dodged.  This means that I had to adjust my stride and speed and direction constantly, working muscles harder and pushing my heart rate above where it would normally sit.    Experts agree that trail running has a definite fitness advantage over a similarly paced road run and apparently the constant adjustments to your body position are great for working your core and improving your overall balance.

The first thing you notice when running on dirt is how much softer and more forgiving it feels than concrete.  As someone that does quite a few miles on the roads around Melbourne, I definitely notice the constant jarring that road running inflicts on my body.  Running off-road, whilst making me work harder, leaves me feeling a lot less banged up after a long run, and I find that my body recovers a lot faster.

Running with music is great.  I love zoning out to music when I run, putting together playlists depending on the length of my run.  As I ran through the bush this morning I made a point of taking out my earphones to just enjoy the sound of birds, river and distinct lack of cars.  It was amazing how great it felt to not have SUVs and annoying trucks whizzing by a couple of feet away.  There was also the fact that I had the whole trail to myself.  We've all had close calls with people on bikes not paying attention, or got annoyed at the folks that like to walk two abreast on a narrow pathway, preventing anyone else from getting past.

Bottom line though, it's just great to run somewhere different, where your mind is forced to be present and you can feel like you have escaped the concrete jungle, if only for an hour or so.

The Yarra River around Fairfield and Studley park is the perfect place to get off-road, without having to leave the city, and if you plan your route right, you're still close to great cafes.

Shoe company Salomon are putting on a Trail Running Series around some picturesque locations in Victoria during the colder (muddier) months.  You can find some more info here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Busy Athlete Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates