Sunday 24 June 2012

0 Kettlebells: The Busy Athlete's Guide

I have to admit, I don't really like working out in the gym.  There's something about the repetitive, mechanical nature of gym equipment that just doesn't sit right with me.  I would much rather be outdoors, running or riding my bike, or even (in warmer weather) swimming.  I really enjoy the freedom or running a trail or riding a quiet road, and find that I have to really psych myself up to go to the gym.

If I'm honest with myself, I probably don't like the gym because I suck at lifting weights.  I've neglected the strength elements of my training for too long, in favour of building cardiovascular fitness and endurance.  I recently had a fairly critical self-evaluation though and realised that I need to drastically increase my core and upper body strength before the next racing season, or I won't be able to perform at the level that I want to reach.

As a busy guy, I often find it hard to juggle my work, family and training commitments, so I'm always looking for workouts that give me the maximum benefit in the shortest amount of time.  I love high-intensity cardio training, with hill sprints and fartlek runs also forming a big part of my regimen, so it was natural that I would be attracted to a gym workout that combines high intensity, core, back, chest and shoulder strength and a cardio burn as well. Kettlebells have been a revelation to me.

You've probably seen people working with Kettlebells in your gym, or at least heard them mentioned.  This big chunks of iron with a handle attached are one of the biggest trends in modern fitness.  As you can see from the picture of Lance Armstrong above, I'm certainly not the first triathlete to "discover" the benefits of this type of training.

Your best off finding a trainer who is familiar with Kettlebell training to start you off, but once you have been shown the basic techniques, it is really easy to put together an effective and brief workout that will give you the extra strength and endurance that a normal gym workout probably won't give you.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm by no means an expert when it comes to either Kettlebells or gym workouts in general, but my trainer showed me a great workout that has already started to give me noticeable improvements in my strength and general fitness and has carried these improvements across to my running and cycling.

It's as simple as this (talk to your trainer about number of reps, rest periods etc):
  • Two handed Kettlebell swings
  • Step back lunges (with overhead dumbbells on alternating arms)
  • Burpees (with a push up at the bottom)
  • Pull ups
  • Crunches and twists with a medicine ball
  • Decline push ups
The trick with this workout is to start at a high number of reps, and reduce them with each set.  You need to make sure that you are moving between exercises with little or no rest period.  You will find that you are working your cardiovascular system just as hard as if you were doing a high intensity track workout, whilst still getting the strength benefits of these exercises.  30 to 40 minutes of this will feel like a Grade A Sufferfest at first, but you will never go back to boring weights again.  The beauty of this workout is that with a minimal outlay for your own Kettlebell, you can do this workout almost anywhere.  Your local park, backyard or living room.

As my core strength has improved, my running efficiency and style has improved as my stabilisers hold me in a more upright and secure position.  My cycling has improved through my ability again to stabilise my body and hold proper form for longer rides.

If you are looking  to incorporate a quick, fat burning strenght workout into your week.  Give this a try.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Busy Athlete Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates