Monday 9 April 2012

0 New 5K PR and a healthy dose of disappointment


I woke up this morning feeling a bit under the weather.  Now that the excuses are out of the way, I'll get to the point.  I just ran a 5K PR of 20:01 around the Princes Park running track.  Whilst I am excited to be improving and happy to have knocked 36 seconds off my best time, I can't help but be a little disappointed to have not gone under 20 minutes.

My plan was to go out at a 4:00/km pace for the first 3 kilometres, and then to bring it home quite a bit quicker as  I've gotten some pretty good results by negative splitting my runs recently.  The first two kilometres went well, but for some reason I had heavy legs by the half way mark and really struggled to pick up the pace.  I did the last kilometre in 3:48, which was just not enough to get me under 20 minutes.

This is a prime example of the constant ups and downs that you get when you train a lot.  I had a great run three days ago and did a Half Marathon PR.  Going into today, I had just expected to run under 20 minutes.  I think it was that expectation and the fact the I was only 2 seconds off my goal that is annoying me.

In hindsight, running a half marathon on Friday then expecting to run my best ever 5K a couple of days later is probably a bit silly, but I'm nothing if not an optimist!

I'll try again later this week.  I'm determined to go under 20 minutes asap!  Perhaps it was all of the hot cross buns I ate this weekend....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Busy Athlete Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates